Positive Behavior Support (PBS)
Positive Behavior Support is a regular, weekly service focused on parents and caregivers as the primary targets for behavior change in support of child progress in home and community routines important to the family. Positive Behavior Support and Applied Behavior Analysis principles drive the approach to assessment and intervention in which parents and caregivers develop capacity in problem solving, teaching, data collection, and data-based decision-making in pursuit of developing new skills. Services are for individuals up to 21 and are delivered 1-4 hours per week depending on need and availability. Services start in clinic and may be transferred home if necessary. This service can also be provided via telehealth for individuals living in underserved communities around the state.
Examples of goals targeted in PBS include increasing independence with self-care, practicing and initiating positive social interactions, increasing ability to communicate wants and needs, and increasing independence with transitions.
What Does Positive Behavior Support Look Like?
- Family/Caregiver Training – caregivers are taught how to support the individual to learn new skills through modeling and feedback from the ABA clinician
- Social Skills Group
- Routine-based teaching and naturalistic teaching
- Positive behavior support strategies
- Ongoing data collection and analysis
- Between 1-4 hours/week
- Multidisciplinary team - collaboration occurs with pediatric therapy, medical providers, school, community supports, and other mental health providers.
Positive Behavior Support can happen anywhere:
- Outpatient clinic
- Community setting
Services are delivered by a team of the following professionals:
- BCBA-D/BCBA – Board Certified Behavior Analyst
- Mental Health Professional – Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
- BCaBA – Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst
- BCBA/BCaBA Trainees – Individuals working toward certification